Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Flag Cake-Fourth of July



My Uncle Sean was killed in a car accident on May 31st. A couple weeks later my Grandma Peart passed away due to heart complications. My poor mom has had quite the busy summer so far and has spent a lot of time in the last while moving things out of and cleaning Grandma's house so that it can be sold. My Grandma used to make all kinds of cakes including wedding cakes and birthday cakes. She was amazing with it, so it was no suprise when my mom found several pans in her house. She passed down at least a dozen shaped cake pans to me and I am thrilled to try them all out. The dates on the pans go way back to 1973 (10 years before I was born), but work all the same for baking. On the July 4th weekend I decided to try out one of the American flag. I found a photo online of one they had done in layers. The middle layer is vanilla ice cream and the others are vanilla cake colored with food coloring. I was really pleased with the way it turned out, but should have thrown a party to have it all eaten. You can tell that the girls also had a good weekend in their flag shirts, festive hair and doing fireworks in the rain.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

cute cute! Sorry about your labor scare:( Stay put miss Leah!!